More DW Blogs DW.COM

Adventure Sports

with Stefan Nestler

Summit successes on Manaslu, Cho Oyu and Everest

Manaslu in Nepal

Manaslu in Nepal

It’s show time in the Himalayas. After all climbers should have completed their acclimatization on the eight-thousanders, the first summit successes have been reported. Yesterday Romanian Horia Colibasanu and Slovak Peter Hamor reached the 8163-meter-high summit of Manaslu via the normal route on the northeast side – without bottled oxygen and Sherpa support. Actually this ascent was only for acclimatization. The two plan to climb the mountain a second time, on a new “long and difficult route” (Colibasanu) on the north side of the mountain.

Nepalese south side of Cho Oyu

Nepalese south side of Cho Oyu

Without breathing mask

The first summit successes were also reported from Cho Oyu in Tibet. According to the expedition operator Summit Climb, Lhakpa Gelbu Sherpa and American David Roeske reached the highest point on 8,188 meters on Sunday, without bottled oxygen.

First attempt abandoned

On Shishapangma, Swiss Ueli Steck and German David Goettler have abandoned their first attempt to climb a new route through the South Face. “We are back in basecamp. Weather was not what we expected”, Ueli writes on Facebook. “The season is not finished yet. We are still motivated and we keep trying!”

Slovaks on Everest are safe

On Mount Everest, two narrow good weather windows for summit attempts are emerging: between 14 and 16 May and on 19 and 20 May. Several teams on the south side want to take the very first chance. Meanwhile, the two Slovakian climbers Zoltan Pál and Vladimir Štrba are safe again. As reported, the duo had been caught by an avalanche during their attempt to climb through the difficult Southwest Face. Pál was injured in his eye. The rescue team managed to bring them back to Camp 2, from where they were flown by helicopter to Kathmandu today.

Update, 4 p.m.: According to Ang Tshering Sherpa, president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA,) today nine Sherpas of the rope-fixing team reached the summit of Everest from the Nepalese side of the mountain.


11. May 2016 | 10:53